Wednesday 24 November 2010

IT'S OFFICIAL.......I'M AN OLD BAG!

Well, the big day finally rolled around, I’m 60, aaaaaagh!! How on earth did I manage to make it to such a milestone. A friend surprised me with a jumbo sized badge which cracked me up, and I have worn it with pride today!

Had a definite moment of encouragement when I went to renew my driver’s licence. Noticed I was wearing the exact same shirt as I had worn the last time I renewed my licence, so the lady behind the counter asked if I wanted to use the same photo. Opting for a new photo she showed it to me and reckoned it looked exactly the same, making me feel good that at least I hadn’t visibly aged too much in the few years since the last one.

So, sixty, my goodness, what on earth have I been doing all this time? Have I grown any wiser with age? Probably not, but there are some advantages to growing older besides being eligible for a Seniors Card.

I’ve mellowed, even though I’ve never really had much of a tendency to be anxious. Worry doesn’t change anything, only action does, so whether it’s big stuff or little stuff to be dealt with, progress will only be made as you chip away at it bit by bit.

I don’t rush about feeling like I have to fix everything. It’s one thing to feel the weight of the burden of responsibility when all you see around you are things that need attending to, but I’ve managed to consciously remind myself of what has been achieved. Life will never be perfect and we all live with the ambiguities and tension of things when they’re not as we would like, but if I hold up my end and contribute where I can, the result as we work alongside others can’t help but be a positive movement towards achieving a fruitful outcome.

And being with others is a good thing, being able to offer help as well as feeling free to ask for help, not isolating yourself. Contributing to a sense of community where everyone feels valued. My daily desk calendar thought for today is Love is best found when looking to give it to another, to which I agree wholeheartedly. I visited a friend today whose husband passed away last weekend, and it was as much a blessing to me to spend time with her, as it was for her to receive a card and flowers and the assurance of the love and prayers of our whole community.

Despite the often bleak news we witness on a daily basis, life is still good. No matter what has gone before, each new day is a fresh start, and here’s hoping my sixty year old body will allow me to experience many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment