Thursday 24 March 2011

GOODBYE WORK, HELLO HOLIDAY









With a wedding invitation beckoning me to the mainland, I finally had a purpose to escape for a short holiday, so with the car packed and the promise of a good night’s sleep aboard The Spirit I left my work, desk and computer behind to relax awhile. Had some drama before I even made it to the boat, or is it a ship, when does a boat become a ship? Ran over a snake, my second in the last two months, then some rev head decided to run me off the road as he came roaring round a bend on the wrong side of the road. Was a relief to drive up the ramp and head for my cabin.

Hit the ground running in Melbourne, dashed here, zotted there as I caught up with friends and family over the week. In between the to-ing and fro-ing managed some back to nature time, even fluked a few good pics. Chilled out in the peace of a Warragul park, and the Cranbourne Royal Botanic Gardens were an eye opener. The 20 acre display area of the 350 acre property is still being developed, with interactive areas incorporated into distinct climate zones and their native flora.

Trekked up most of the 1000 steps of the Kokoda Trail memorial walk in the Ferntree Gully National park, and was treated with the sighting of a lyrebird scratching around just off the track. A popular training spot for local fitness fanatics, I lost count how many were power walking, running or trudging up and down, with heart monitors and other techno doohickeys separating the serious ones from us mere mortals, and this was just mid week. Apparently it’s like Bourke St on the weekends.



No comments:

Post a Comment