Saturday 9 July 2011

BATTEN DOWN THE HATCHES

Man what a night. Was lucky if I managed 3 hours sleep, and it wasn’t because I was out raging all night. It was the gale force winds that were raging, coming straight off Antarctica and roaring down our mountain like a freight train with no mercy for anything in its path. Some slept through it, but they were certainly in the minority.

Power was off for four hours, I was amazed when it came on again, I hate to think what the linesmen had to do to make sure we could all have a cup of tea and toast for breakfast. There was a lull around 6.30am, thought it might’ve been finally blowing itself out, but it was short lived, just a prelude to starting up again and it’s been flat out all day, more on the way tonight and tomorrow and snow predicted down to 300 metres.

145kph winds were recorded off the Tassie south coast this morning, 7 metre waves, with 12 metre waves expected during the day. I could just see the surfers champing at the bit, strapping their boards to their cars and heading for the action, drawn to it like a magnet, but I wouldn’t like their chances on a day like this.

Pot of thick hearty vege soup has been simmering for a few hours. Staying in on a Saturday night in front of the fire sounds good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment