Sunday 2 September 2012

Gardener's Lament


Deer eat agapanthus
Leafy hedges, saplings too
Whate’er is it they shouldn’t eat
They come in and chew.

You’d think the grass would be enough
To satisfy their needs
I wish they’d come into my yard
And free me of my weeds.

What has happened in the bush
To change their diet so
They never came and ate these things
Many moons ago.

It’s usually in times of drought
Our night invaders come
But with yards a year round smorgasbord
They find take-away on the run.

Once tall and leafy plant life
Screening blank brick walls
Are denuded now of waving fronds
And chewed down to their stalks.
















My veggie plot’s abandoned
It used to yield a feast
But all it fed as years rolled by
Were nightly hungry beasts.

The possums strip the fruit trees bare
I’ve given up the thought
Of juicy summer nectarines
My efforts come to nought.

The wallabies get in the act
The pademelons too
I used to think that they were cute
But now I just yell ‘Shoo.’

Why don’t the deer cooperate
Chew things we have to trim
Work with us like the gardener
Why can’t they be like him?

Instead, they’re quite selective
As they wander yard to yard
A broad leaf here, a flower there
Making it so hard

To work out exactly what it is
They really cannot stand
Then plant that in profusion
To cut off their demand.

I never thought I would regard
The fallow deer a pest
Go eat your own bush greenery
Come on, give ours a rest.










1 comment: