Sunday 7 June 2015

Marooned on the Island

For the first time since my grandchildren were born, I missed a birthday party, a cardinal sin in my books. Zandar turned 6 two days ago and I was stuck at home after enduring two plane trips from hell after doing my back in for the umpteenth time three days ago. The three plane trips the day before to get me to Darwin were probably the catalyst but all was going fine until I was loaned a car to check out what Darwin had to offer. Sat myself down and ‘sproing,’ it wasn’t one of the springs in the car seat that went but the whole structure of my lower back which has given me curry over the last 30 years that decided to give up the ghost just at that moment. The phrase “Not happy Jan” came to mind along with several other choice words that will remain nameless.

Managed to visit two locations during the day, maneuvering myself in and out of the car with the precision of a shuttle docking on the international space station, spending as much time as possible in an upright position walking, and walking, and walking some more, for to sit or lie down was a decision fraught with danger. The NT Art Gallery & Museum provided me with several hours of walking and taking in some exquisite art, my favourites being both traditional and modern indigenous art, an exhibition of Year 12 art from late 2014, and a French exhibit featuring Edgar Degas, Henri de Toulouse-Letrec, plus Honore Daumier who I have to admit I’d never come across before. Daumier’s lithographs from the mid 1850’s were a sheer delight, earning him recognition as the forthright caricaturist and commentator of his time on French and Parisian society, and felt every bit as relevant as current day political cartoonists.
 
Leaving Tassie in 2 degrees and landing up north in 32 was a bit of a shock but bearable nonetheless, very thankful it wasn’t the wet season otherwise I would’ve been reduced to a whimpering puddle on the floor before even making it out of the airport terminal. Managing to locate a doctor late in the afternoon who thankfully prescribed the medication I needed to make the homeward journey of two flights somewhat bearable, my friend helped me into my shoes and socks seeing as I had no hope of reaching the nether parts of my anatomy, slid me into the car and deposited me back at Darwin airport a mere day and a half after arriving for the 1.30am flight back home. That’s right…AM…you’d be surprised how many people are jetting around the country at all times of the day and night.
 
Airplane seats are notoriously known for their lack of comfort, so while standing up at the back of the plane for half the journey from Darwin to Melbourne, I contemplated contacting Jetstar for a half price refund, a scenario I could see would obviously not work, but it did give me something to take my mind off the pain as I stood between the toilets doing stretching exercises while most people nodded off into stages of fitful slumber as we headed south.

Contemplating driving the car home once finally arriving back in Launceston, I had to take the bit between my teeth and exercise mind over matter, but what it brought home to me is that I have grave doubts of ever indulging in one of my fantasies of flying to Europe to spend my year in Tuscany, or Provence, or walking those ancient cobbled streets in a myriad of ancient cities.

Looks like I’m marooned on my little island, with my dreams of travel having to be satisfied by watching the Tour de France, the Giro d’Italia, and the delights of documentaries of foreign countries being traversed by others who are fortunate enough not to have dodgy backs. What it does do though, is give me renewed determination to visit the sights and meet the characters this delightful island State has to offer. If people from the other side of the world find Tassie fascinating enough to travel halfway way round the world to visit, then there must be plenty on my own doorstep to keep me occupied for years to come.

Shame to take Tuscany off the agenda, but there you go.


(Apologies if publishing portions of artworks contravenes any copyright laws)









No comments:

Post a Comment