Thursday 22 June 2017

Winter Solstice

It might be the shortest day of the year, but I’ve been up for more than seventeen hours. By rights I should be tucked up in bed by now, but seeing as I forgot to turn on the electric blanket an hour ago, I might as well use the time wisely, or at least fill it with something while I wait for the bed to warm up.




Not unusual to wake up two or three times a night, so managed to roll over and check the clock this morning just before seven, enough time to drag on some clothes and head out to take in the winter solstice sunrise. 

A sharp crescent moon with a superbly bright Venus beneath stood out boldly, vying for attention as the sky gradually lightened. Their impact faded as the pale glow on the horizon became more prominent, and as the sun crested the hills beyond, my surroundings took on new life.


Dry winter grass glowed, welcoming the warmth. Magpies left their nesting places, taking up residence on the stately dead eucalypt to greet the day with their musical morning song, and the mountain took on a faint blush of pink.

My morning walk inspired today’s offering in my daily ritual of haiku writing.


Haiku # 211

Sun, Moon and Venus
this winter solstice morning
good morning, goodnight


Clouds gather, air cools
reminds us of what’s ahead
on this shortest day



No comments:

Post a Comment