Monday 1 March 2010

FIRST DAY OF AUTUMN

DAY 84

Right on cue, a definite nip in the air this morning greeted the first day of Autumn. Even donned shoes and socks as I find it very difficult to work efficiently if the little extremities are suffering. Turned into a glorious day, but seeing as we’re actually 3 weeks away from the autumnal equinox I guess it’s not really surprising. Not sure why Northern Hemispherians start their seasons at the turn of the equinoxes and solstices while we Southerners choose the beginning of the month, maybe we’re a more pragmatic lot and figure people would forget the date and have difficulty remembering what season it is. Wouldn’t be a bad exercise checking out who uses which system, whether it’s a North/South thing or whether it’s even more random than that. Sounds like a good school project for someone.

Mowed the grass within an inch of its life on the weekend in the hope I’ll get a bit more mileage out of its haircut before having to do it again; with cooler weather just around the corner maybe it will finally slow down and give me a chance to plant or propagate or prune or hack or dig, anything else but mowing.

1st of the month weigh in and measure up brought some good news. Have lost not even a smidgin of a kilo, but 5cm of my pot belly disappeared somewhere. I must admit to not trying very hard, so that’s encouraging, spurring me on to make a bit more effort. Only power walked on 11 days during February (commitment is slipping already), covering almost 34km, and burned up a few more calories with 9 hours of hard labour in the garden. So, the goal of losing 5 kilos is still there, in the hope I’ll manage to fit into all the jeans I wore last Winter (seeing as I had to go on an Op Shop crawl to get some Summer pants I could fit into).

No comments:

Post a Comment