Friday 2 July 2010

ICING UP IN THE FOGGY FOGGY DEW

I was all set for my hour long trip to look after my grandson this morning, dragged myself out of bed before 7, which isn’t particularly early but at the moment still feels like the middle of the night. Headed off before 7.30 with the sun’s first glow on the horizon, neighbour’s car in his driveway well and truly covered with ice while mine having been in the carport was fine, a decent frost this morning.

Situated at 300m partway up the Great Western Tiers, we are often in sunshine while everyone in the valley below languishes in the fog at this time of year, and this morning was no different, though at the time I left the sun hadn’t really made an entrance. Headed down the hill and passed my friend Rikk on his morning walk about to be swallowed up by this impenetrable wall I was approaching, and the moment I arrived at the bottom of the hill I was into it, not meagre patchy stuff, and fortunately not a real pea souper, but with visibility at about fifty metres it was enough to make the trip pretty slow.

After super diligent concentration in which I discovered it’s actually easier driving in fog if you’re following someone, I finally came out of it 50 km later, and it wasn’t until then that I noticed a strange anomaly. Usually when your car is iced up on a frosty morning it disperses fairly quickly once you get going, but glancing at my driver’s side mirror I noticed it was covered in beads of ice and had tiny icicles hanging from it. I guess it was the one thing protruding from the car that was copping the frigid air. Looked quite bizarre. Hope there were no pooches with their heads stuck out the car windows this morning, their wet noses and flapping ears would’ve ended up frost bitten.

Freezing in Launceston today, finally home again, more fog on the way back, this time in the dark, house is freezing, retreating to the bedroom with heater and electric blanket to watch Miss Marple. Will thaw out tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment