Friday 17 December 2010

DO I HAVE A WHAT?

Had a haircut last week in a salon where you don’t have to make an appointment, so every time you go you end up with a different hairdresser. This time round I had a guy who I’d never seen before, so I had to go through the same old palaver of explaining all I really want is to look like an ageing pixie so I can blow dry my hair in thirty seconds flat to spike it up so it looks like I just stuck my finger in the power point and got an electric shock.

He did a pretty good job considering my obscure description, but the priceless moment for me came when I went to pay. “Do you have a Seniors card?” he asked. Now there’s a question I’ve never been asked before. I know my wrinkles are certainly more permanently etched than they once were, but I wasn’t sure whether to feel insulted or what. I might’ve just turned 60 but that doesn’t necessarily make me feel exactly senior, whatever being senior is supposed to be.

Anyway, there was one benefit, a $2 discount on the haircut once I flashed my brand new little blue card, so I wasn’t going to knock that back. Guess I’ll have to do some research on all the new perks I now qualify for seeing as I’ve joined the ranks of seniors.

I find it interesting that for me I feel as though I reached a certain age in my head and never really went further than that despite the passing of the years, and it takes a good look in the mirror to remind me that that’s not the case. Maybe that’s why I do my hair in 30 seconds and don’t bother wasting time putting on make up. Even worse though is seeing a photo of yourself, especially an unflattering one, to tell you that time is marching on and your days are numbered.

Maybe that’s why there are so many of the ‘Grey Brigade’ constantly on the move touring the country, making sure they get to have their own personal adventures before they’re too old to enjoy it. Good on ‘em, go for it. Don’t think I’ll be following in their tracks, but I’m not ready to grow old gracefully yet, so I certainly hope there’s still some adventures out there for me to discover.

1 comment:

  1. Yes Di- do investigate the benefits of the Seniors' Card- there are many of them (and some are not really listed anywhere, and it's a matter of asking when you go into a place if they do senior's discounts). There are some supermarkets that have 'seniors' days' when seniors get an extra discount, and many cafes have special deals for seniors too.

    You just need to be like my mother- have more front than Myer and ask everyone if they have any special deals for seniors.

    ReplyDelete