Saturday 15 January 2011

JUST A SMALL TASTE

After two weeks of watching graphic pictures come out of Queensland as the statewide flood continued its incessant movement southwards into the outlying regions of Brisbane and into the city centre itself, wreaking havoc and leaving heartbreak in its wake, it was inevitable those south of the border would finally get a taste of this relentless beast which refused to be held back.

As the weather pattern shifted south, so did the rain, and with it the accumulated volumes of water pouring down the river systems. Parts of New South Wales and Victoria have experienced flooding like they’ve never seen before, and in the last two days it finally arrived down here in Tassie.

The east coast copped it yesterday, and the north west bore the brunt of it today, and listening to the ABC to keep abreast of road conditions as I headed to Launceston this morning, the broadcast simply informing people of flooded areas and road closures due to flooding went on for nearly half an hour. Even though conditions were fine when I left, knowing what the road is like in my neck of the woods I toyed with the idea of not returning if the rain persisted all day.

Dropping the car off for a checkup, not sure how many times I got wet and half dry as I headed off in pouring rain into the heart of town, did what I needed to do, in pouring rain, then headed back to get the car several hours later, still in pouring rain. Umbrella turned itself inside out a few times as the wind tried to snatch it away, but there was no way I was going to be a sook and catch a taxi. Should’ve worn my pedometer, despite the rain I must have squooshed along for about 8km.

Weather finally cleared up late afternoon so thought I’d risk heading home, and sure enough, as I came to the turnoff to head towards the mountain there was the truck with flashing lights and the guys flagging me down. Yes, there was some water over the road they said, but I should be fine where I was going. Apparently up the mountain somewhere things weren’t so good, with a landslide taking out a section of road.

I’d made sure I headed home while it was still light in case the road was flooded, have negotiated it before in the dark and didn’t like it one little bit, and glad I did as the road was underwater in quite a few places and running at quite a pace. Nothing dangerous though, apart from the tiger snake I ran over as I went through one stretch of water. Anxious to make sure he hadn’t latched on to the underside of the car as a means of escape, I checked the rear view mirror and was surprised to see him thrashing about in the water. I hadn’t meant to actually run over him, but at least I knew where he was.

Sorry there’s no pictures, had the camera but it wasn’t really safe to stop anywhere, and quite frankly, when you’re out there on the road instead of watching it on TV, all you want to do is get out of it and get home.

The disasters of the weather variety we experience round here are usually the windy kind. Gale force winds rip through here every few months and do their share of damage, but to face what the flood victims have to deal with in terms of the physical cleanup and rebuilding of their homes and communities, as well as the burden of putting their lives back together and grieving for those who were lost, I can’t begin to imagine the long and hard road it will be for many.

As the emergency subsides and the TV crews move out, the real work will begin in earnest. Without the dramatic pictures being in front of us day in day out like they have this past week, it will be easy for those of us far removed from the disaster zones to forget how long the road to recovery is going to take.

It’s been fascinating to hear quite a few commentators compare this disaster with that of Hurricane Katrina which hit New Orleans, and the huge difference in the aftermath. Quite apart from comparisons with government response and relief, the community spirit which has turned strangers into friends has been the hallmark of these past few days. People putting their own lives on the line to rescue others, and the willingness to roll up the sleeves and join forces in a concerted effort to help people you don’t even know I find delightful to see.

None of us knows what disaster might confront us at some point in our lives, so let’s hang in there with them for the long haul, stay informed and let’s keep giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment