Wednesday 8 June 2011

WET, WILD AND WOOLLY

What was supposed to be a pleasant afternoon off after an appointment in Hobart this morning turned into an epic journey as our little island State was lashed with wild weather. Heading south yesterday afternoon the bad weather set in about half way there, then continued during the night. Teeming rain and gale force winds meant I cancelled plans for a leisurely lunch and stroll through the Salamanca galleries and shops, and headed straight home instead.

Took me three hours, way longer than usual as the road conditions were atrocious, even had to negotiate several sections of flooded road, so to pull up in the driveway in one piece was a great relief. Said a prayer of thanks as I imagine there may be others who very well might not make it home tonight.

As I write with the sun sinking behind the Western Tiers, not that it’s shown its face all day, there is a tiny patch of clear sky towards the northwest, but I somewhat doubt we’ve seen the end of this latest wintry blast. The wind is still raging and the front door rattling, so I think it will be another long night.

Funny how for most people talking about the weather is usually regarded as small talk, something to talk about when you run out of conversation, but we Tasmanians love our weather! Well, I do anyway. Good, bad or ugly, I watch with fascination as the mountain backdrop to our village changes its moods along with the elements. A friend told me the other day how she gets the SADs, not just a case of disliking the cold winter weather, but seasonal affective disorder, where prolonged grey skies, cold temperatures and dreary days really do affect your emotional well being.

I’m fortunate not to be afflicted in such a way, but I know even I welcome those first days of spring when the warmth returns and outside activities are once more on the agenda. So spare a thought for those who in these next months of being shut in are not shut off from the warmth and company of others who can dispel the grey clouds hovering overhead.

1 comment:

  1. Aaah i remember the massive winds of 2010. The sound alone was pretty freaky but it was an awesome display of mother nature...and i even nearly got pushed over by its power a few times. I also love the weather in Taz

    ReplyDelete