Monday 30 January 2012

Proved my theory yet again

Told you I was right. There I was, minding my own business watching Grand Designs, flipping back and forth to see how Djokovic and Nadal were faring in the first set of the Australian Open final, when lo and behold I had to watch just at the crucial moment to see Rafa take out the first set.

Went back to the ABC, dared to come back to see Novak had the upper hand in the second set, looked like the set was in the bag so thought I’d cheer him on, only to see Rafa fall in line with my sporting jinx theory and turn on his characteristic power to break back and level it out again. Couldn’t watch, switched over again, and was overjoyed to see on my return Novak had managed to t, looked like the set was in the bag ssnare the second set.

Kept going in and out of the room during the third set which Djokovic won with the greatest of ease so far in the match, but I knew Nadal wouldn’t go down without a helluva fight and that the contest was far from over.

Despite the high drama, decided to head for bed, and was glad I did, as the 5hr 53min longest running 5 set marathon of a match in Grand Slam history kept the spellbound spectators waiting until after 1.30am before Djokovic finally claimed the victory.

So, did my absence from watching influence the outcome? Who’s to know, but what I do take from such a significant sporting endeavour is an amazing amount of respect for players who not only display great skill, but who refuse to buckle under immense pressure, and are gracious both in defeat as well as victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment