Sunday 5 September 2010

GOTTA GET MOVING

With only 6 weeks to go until the Burnie Ten, thought I’d do an initial weigh in to see if my efforts at regaining some fitness will pay off. Rather disappointed to discover the 5kg I’d hoped to shed this year has now become 7kg, making me officially the heaviest I’ve ever been, even worse than New Year's Day. For someone who doesn’t eat junk food that’s a bit of a blow, not sure where the fat intake is coming from but I realise the main contributing factor is probably lack of activity.

The winter hibernation and curling up on the couch in front of the fire has to come to an end unfortunately, and the alternative of pushing my protesting body out the door and burning up a few kilos has to somehow become part of the daily routine once again. Have succeeded so far this past week, going for a 3km power walk each morning except when it was bucketing down outside. Popped on an over 50’s aerobics DVD instead, tried to keep up, made sure the blinds were down so no unsuspecting passer by caught me gyrating my way round the lounge room.

Woke up at 5:30 the other morning, couldn’t go back to sleep, so finally left the house at 7am to attack the morning trek, only to find three other women doing the same thing. Hmm, maybe I can rope them into doing the Burnie Ten with me. Anyway, one plus from getting out just that little bit earlier meant I came across two fallow deer grazing at the side of the main street of the village, though they headed for the bush as soon as I got too close for their comfort. This morning it was a goat on for a chat over the fence. He had his front feet on something in the backyard so his head was poking over the top of the five foot high fence. Looked quite comical.

It’s obvious the benefits of getting back into a fitness regimen are not going to be limited simply to the reason for doing it in the first place. Waking up and getting going in much the same way as the day is, appreciating what is immediately around me, observing in more detail, enjoying the connection with like minded walkers, being mindful of the needs of others as I pass each house, all enrich me in ways I would miss out on if I stayed in bed.

Hopefully while I’m gaining some fitness and enjoyment in the whole process, some kilos and centimetres will also be lost along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment