Wednesday 20 March 2013

Unnatural Selection

 Interesting walk in the bush this morning. Disturbed a wallaby who scurried off quick smart, a deer appeared on the track, stared straight at me then literally BARKED at me in obvious indignation before taking off, an echidna waddled through the undergrowth quite unperturbed until he spotted me and hid his face in the hope that because he couldn’t see me, I couldn’t see him. Butterflies followed me wherever I went, a lovely experience, and then there was this.


Now, I would’ve thought it would be deeply ingrained in each seed pod’s DNA that from the moment it makes its momentous once in a lifetime descent from the place of its birth to that of its death, it would know what to do.

Maybe not, for this Mummy Wattle was working overtime and flagrantly disregarding all laws of nature. Either she was being somewhat over protective or over controlling, but whatever it was she was going all out to ensure her progeny were to be the chosen ones who would rise to the top of the heap and carry on the species.

Today the bush, tomorrow the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment