Friday 15 March 2013

Serendipity?...Nah,,just a Scam


Just when I’d finally got myself geared up for a week off, what should arrive in the mail but a lovely glossy brochure from Cherry Tourism advertising holidays in Asia. Not just advertising though, but included with the brochure were two scratch and win tickets for a holiday promotion detailed inside, and lo and behold, what had I won? 2nd prize of $160,000!

Now, did I get excited? Of course not. Smelt a rat straight away, even though it was a well disguised rat. The breakdown of the promotion stated there were two 2nd prizes to that value, and guess who got the other one? My daughter in law Melanie!! Now what are the odds of that happening? About a zillion to one I reckon, probably the same number of other recipients in however many countries who’ve just received the same piece of mail from somewhere in Malaysia.

I didn’t even bother to check out how they intended to squeeze the dollars out of me, but Glen thought he’d see what their devious little plan was, and apparently you had to send $7000 for them to release the funds, but in their favour they were prepared to be oh so generous and cover half of that so all you had to send was $3500 to receive your wonderful prize. Isn’t that nice of them.

Makes me wonder what makes these people tick, but then I guess I’ve never really understood the criminal mind that has such complete disregard for the honesty and vulnerability of others. If they’ve gone to such trouble to devise such a plan, supposedly covering their tracks sufficiently that they won’t get caught, then surely someone somewhere in their ranks of shady characters should have some actual skills to set up a legitimate business that makes money legally instead of preying on the unsuspecting ones who get sucked in by such schemes. I guess in my naivety that’s asking too much.

With the endless emails from Nigeria over the years fooling people out of their well earned savings, at least it was interesting to actually receive something in the mail which I can now pass on to the ACCC who can add them to their list of scam schemes to investigate.

$160,000 would’ve been rather nice though, could’ve had a doozy of a holiday with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment