Saturday 28 August 2010

7 WEEKS TO REACH "THE 10"

Finally dragged myself out of bed this morning, donned the trackies and walking shoes and headed off into the sunshine. After this week’s snow on the mountain, icy air and gale force winds, I’d run out of excuses for refusing to motivate myself once I peeped out from behind the bedroom blind.

The sun was glorious, daffodils and jonquils everywhere lapping it up, had a chat to the Shetland pony in the paddock as I went by. Managed 3km, got me going for the day, and I didn’t even mind hanging out the washing when I got back, first time it’s made it out as far as the clothes line for a while.

So, why the burst of activity? I’ve lost track of how many times I’ve said “Now this year I’m going to do it” but never do. The annual Burnie Ten 10km road race is coming up on Oct 17, only 7 weeks away, and I’m already three weeks behind personal trainer Mark Connelley’s suggested ten week training schedule. Not that I have any illusions about getting super fit and actually running it. All I want to do is walk the distance and complete it. The elite athletes who turn up every year make the distance in half an hour or thereabouts, though I reckon it’ll probably take me a good hour and a half at the rate I go.

The Burnie Ten has become one of those things which I aspire to do but never get around to. I’ve given up all too soon when I’ve made an attempt at preparing, and the arthritis in my feet and hips reminds me I’m not the athlete I once was back in my school and college days.

We all have “To Do” lists we face every day, whether written down or in our heads, but as I said yesterday, I also have my procrastination list to work through, and this is as good a time as any to start ticking off the items.

Maybe the prospect of Spring just around the corner has woken me up, maybe it’s because the spare tyre round my middle has thickened and is weighing me down, whatever it is, anything that motivates me and produces some self discipline has to be positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment