Sunday 15 August 2010

RELEASING THE PRESSURE

Have just washed the kitchen floor, nothing unusual in that, though I am having trouble remembering the last time I did it. Doesn’t exactly get very dirty most of the time, but my second kitchen disaster for the week meant the mop and bucket had to come out of hibernation.

All I did was open a bottle of soda water to add to my ginger, whereupon the cupboards, floor and most of me copped it. Amazing how much mess half a glass of soda under pressure can make.

I work in a pretty stress free environment, my workmates are good friends, so any pressure I feel is probably what I put myself under, having more to do with my own internal unresolved baggage rather than any external expectations. Whatever it is for you, in those times when we’re caught up in the ‘stuff’ that hooks us and brings us undone, things can tend to get a bit messy.

We can create quite a bit of collateral damage as we go through the day, being impatient, insensitive, feeling hard done by, excusing our behaviour by blaming anything and anyone other than ourselves for the tension, discord and lack of productivity lying in our wake.

Fortunately, each day dawns anew, with its chances for redemption and opportunities to address the often neglected internal and external stresses which have a habit of simmering away before blowing out sideways.

I’ll remember next time. It really is much wiser to lift the lid slowly, release the pressure gently.

No comments:

Post a Comment