Tuesday 26 January 2010

DISORDERLY DISTEMPER

DAY 50

Had a bit of fun in the process of establishing a new email account after finally leaving dial up behind and launching into the world of broadband which most people take for granted. When you have the name Di the dictionary can provide a wealth of ‘dis’ words which seem quite appropriate for the task when you substitute the ‘dis’ for Di’s at the start of an email address.

I thought disconnecting made a lot of sense for logging in to my emails, the computer said ‘No’. What about discontent, I mean I’m a pretty contented sort of person, the computer said ‘No’. I tried disbelief, disagreeable, disgraceful, dishonourable, displeasure, disillusion, dispossessed, you name it I tried it, the computer wasn’t having a bar of it. It kept making all these obscure suggestions of how I could fit the word with my name in an acceptable form, but then it didn’t make sense and defeated the whole purpose.

After such a fruitless exercise I was very tempted with distemper, but I don’t really have one, not a bad one anyway, well, mostly not. Takes a lot to get me riled up. I’ll be struck with mild annoyances now and then, like email servers who won’t let you do what seems perfectly simple and obvious, I mean what difference is it to them what you call yourself. A few friends have called me Lady Di for many years, but I figured I’d probably end up as ladydi50698@somethingorother as there’d be a ton of those already.

Finally decided on one, then had to work out another one for the blog, hence my “Di’s embarking” signature at the end of each day. I’ve been scribbling spasmodically for a long time, but in setting myself this daily regimen I guess I saw it as disembarking from the apathy of the past and embarking on a new journey which will hopefully take me….somewhere. In amongst the ramblings there are hopefully brief glimpses of brilliance (well, illumination of some intensity anyway), and the only way those moments are going to become more frequent is if I stick at this and see it through.

No comments:

Post a Comment