Monday 18 January 2010

NATURE'S FIREWORKS

JAN 1 '10 - DAY 25
Hah, who needs fireworks. Our community New Year's Eve celebrations complete with fireworks and sparklers for the kids was upstaged well and truly by an hour long spectacular natural lightshow, lightning from the west and south flashing continuously and the rumble of thunder drowning out the popping and banging as the storm slowly made its way in our direction. After a stinking hot day we were treated to a short lived downpour at the end of it all, leaving the air fresh with the earthy smell of the ground's appreciation.

Weighed and measured myself this morning, before I ate anything so the gut would be at its smallest for the day. Not good, I'm actually the heaviest I have ever been, apart from being pregnant and that doesn't count. The goal? To lose 5 kilos, and hopefully in the process the inflated spare tyres may end up looking like punctures.

Surprised myself by exposing said lumpy body at the village pool along with a friend who was feeling equally hesitant about flashing the rolls of fat and arctic suntan, though I did cover up the cellulite with bike pants over the bathers so as not to scare the locals. Have lived here for 15 years, haven't been in the pool for about 14, seeing as my last dip proved that an outdoor unheated pool wasn't exactly up my alley. But, today was a rare one, I think we topped the State's temperature with around 30+, which in Tassie can feel pretty much the same as 35 on the mainland. Don't ask me why, must be something to do with less air pollution, or sitting underneath the ozone hole, whatever it is you can burn to a frazzle an awful lot faster here than anywhere else in the country.

The initial plunge confirmed my memories of years ago, but once in it was well worth it. Will endeavour to do it again.


No comments:

Post a Comment