Saturday 16 January 2010

YOU HAVING A GOOD DAY NANNY DI?

DEC 21 '09 - DAY 14
Every so often I get the opportunity to look after my grandchildren while my daughter in law puts in the hard yards, standing on her feet all day attending to the needs of passing shoppers who she hopes will not only browse but actually part with their money. Bella is 4, so the past few years have been relatively simple in terms of looking after her while her mum and dad are at work. But now Zandar is on the scene, a very cute 6 month old bundle of demands, so the equation has changed somewhat.

When my kids were little it all seemed so much simpler. That's the beauty of hindsight I guess, and true, I did have a lot more energy then. Hang on I'll get you a drink in a minute, Zandar's awake, which dinosaur do you want me to put away? Oh that one, yes he does make a scary noise, he's the bad dinosaur, he goes back in the cupboard. Nappy change, greeted with a smile to melt anyone's heart, warm up bottle, give the little bloke his bottle, burp, promptly poohs his pants so another nappy change, typical routine. What are we doing now? You want Nanny to draw dinosaurs. How about some lunch first. Bella's lunch, my lunch, more toys dragged out the cupboard, colouring books, the baby doll is undressed, bathed in Zandar's bath, dried and dressed and given a bottle by her very attentive mother. Even after all this treatment the doll is flagrantly unappreciative and shows its displeasure by squawking its head off, courtesy of Bella, not any mechanics within the doll, and no amount of comforting will shut it up. Zandar's lunch, another nappy change, back to bed for him, out come the easel and markers and dinosaur book so Nanny knows what they look like, and we draw big dinosaurs with lots of things in their tummies.

And so it continues ad infinitum for the nest few hours, am so glad I did all this when I was in my twenties. But I do love 'em. Go home knackered.

1 comment: