Thursday 14 January 2010

STUFF A COLD, STARVE A FEVER

DEC 10-13 '09 DAY 3-6
So much for commitment, the spirit was willing but the flesh was weak, very weak. 95% of the time I am healthy as a horse (then again there was the equine influenza, so even they're not healthy all the time) but my body chose this week to pick up a virus from somewhere and knock me rotten.....hang on....pause for four sneezes in a row, not little ones mind you, the kind where the tickle and the build up starts, you feel it coming....yes, here it comes, no, it's gone, wait, here it comes, no, gone again, yes, here it....AH......you know the sort. The top of your head disappears somewhere, and seeing as all the plumbing in your head is connected, the ear infection which started this unwanted interlude from normal everyday activities is crying out for more antibiotics, and I'm sure an extra piece of barbed wire has infiltrated to intensify the scratch in the throat.

No cold and flu tablets for me, a definite no-no says my doc, don't want the blood pressure getting a free ride. Managed a real coup though. Now, how often can you actually get in to see your doctor when you're sick? Seeing as we never plan our ailments two weeks in advance so we can fit in with our doctor's availability, I thought having an appointment set up for a totally unrelated matter on the day I woke up feeling like crap took particular skill.

Ear infection from last weekend has returned, along with shivers and shakes, sweats, watery eyes, streaming nose, cough cough cough, even my skin hurts, moan, groan, plaintive cries of 'I want my Mummy' can be heard from under the blanket. How come my hot lemon drinks taste nothing like the ones Mum used to make for me when I was a little girl? Who invented eucalyptus tissues? You wonderful, wonderful person. Between them, the Vicks VapoRub (not on the chest, but on the nose so I can breathe), Strepsils, lemon drinks ad infinitum, antibiotics, Inner Health Plus capsules and yoghurt to offset the destruction of the antibiotics, paracetamol and lemon and ginger herbal tea I guess I'll survive.

Hopefully tomorrow will dawn with a glimmer of hope, my blocked up head will start to clear, my body will feel like something other than a lump of lead, and I will have the wherewithal to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment